DIY Weekend Project – Making a Window Sill

I bought my house about 4 years ago now and my project to do list is still extremely long.  It always grows, I do one thing and it makes something else look like crap, so then the something else goes on the list – it’s a never ending process.  I’m relatively handy so try to do as much as I can myself.  It was way too hot to do any outdoor projects this weekend so I did a quick one inside instead.

The guy who owned the house before me did a lot of work himself and fancied himself quite the handyman.  The materials he used were all good, the execution, not so much.  This project was a prime example, the whole house has nice double-paned Pella windows. But he did the drywall patching/taping/mudding around the windows himself and it sucks.  You can see the tape thru the mud, it’s uneven and just crappy.  Thankfully you don’t really notice it unless you are up close so I generally just ignore it, but couldn’t on the front window anymore.  You see, Max loves to look out the window and him constantly putting his paws up there just pulled away the drywall tape and was destroying the wall.  Due more to sucky old homeowner than doggie, well OK, the dirtiness was Max’s grimy little paws, but the wall issues all old homeowner.

So I decided to make a window sill.  I had leftover molding from when I had my new doors installed last year so used that for the apron.  I was originally going to get good wood for the sill, but the good stuff was $3 a linear foot and the cheapo boards were $4 for a 6′ board.  The cheaper stuff had more knots, but I just went thru all of the boards until I found a good one with limited markings.  I made a template out of cardboards to measure everything before I cut the boards.

I used a circular saw and a jigsaw for cutting the wood on this project.  The circular saw was just to do the quick straight cuts on the apron molding and to cut the board to length.  Then used the jigsaw to cut out the corners on the sill.  I’m not great with the jigsaw, so my lines on one side are a little wonky, but I figure a little caulking will solve that issue.

I painted the two pieces with high gloss white paint I had leftover from my door trim before installing it.  Then I just used a nail gun (seriously probably my fav power tool) to nail the board in and the apron below it.  Now I had actually also purchased construction adhesive (liquid nails) to glue the board down before nailing it.  But then I finished it all turned around and saw it still sitting unopened on the counter.  So I dropped an F bomb, contemplated for a moment, then decided to hope the nails alone are enough (I think they will be).  After it was installed you can just touch up where the nails are with putty/paint (honestly I just used paint on this).  Overall I’m happy with it, but I think I’d make the apron piece a little longer if I did it again.

Finished project (with bonus pretty sunset thru the window!):

 

 

Advertisements

Leave a Reply

Fill in your details below or click an icon to log in:

WordPress.com Logo

You are commenting using your WordPress.com account. Log Out /  Change )

Google photo

You are commenting using your Google account. Log Out /  Change )

Twitter picture

You are commenting using your Twitter account. Log Out /  Change )

Facebook photo

You are commenting using your Facebook account. Log Out /  Change )

Connecting to %s